Tee-Shirt Pattern Round-up

Okay, so I think I've made enough tee-shirts now to be able to give a little pattern round-up on here. I realised half way through my sewing journey (and was also reminded of this during me-made May) that I really am a casuals kinda gal at heart and that making lots of dresses wasn't really that helpful to my everyday wardrobe. I think I did quite well to realise this after maybe four dresses, rather than carrying on making them. I will add though, that I love an oversized shirt dress for work, but that's another blog post. 

So here are my favourite tried and tested tee patterns so far (and in no particular order)...

1. Tilly and the Buttons Frankie Tee. I've made this in both the 3/4 and the short-sleeved version now.  There will be a full review (and pics) of the 3/4 sleeve version on the Minerva Blog (in September, I believe) so I don't want to say too much here, but just to note how incredible customisable it is with the raglan sleeve feature. I made with this with the free version of the pattern from issue 50 of Love Sewing magazine, but it's available in Tilly's new book Stretch. [Fabric: Crab jersey was from Sew Me Sunshine, but I think it's sold out. White jersey from Minerva left over from my other Frankie for the Minerva blog].



2. The Breton Top from the Great British Sewing Bee book. This one has definitely grown on me. When I first made it I wasn't too sure if the shaping towards the hem made me look wider but, tucked in, it looks great (and I think it's okay untucked too now). It's an easy make - I think the sleeves are just part of the bodice - and there's no neckband to sew on! For those who love a striped tee, this could become a wardrobe staple.  I hadn't been sewing too long when I made this one so I think the next version should be better.



3. The Mandy Boat Tee by Tessuti. This is a free pdf pattern and, again, another stripey/breton top staple. It's a drop-sleeved long-sleeved tee that works well with stripes. It has the slash/boat neck again, so no neckband to sew (and unpick, and then sew again!) Another quick make on the overlocker. [Fabric: Maud's Fabric Finds, which is sadly closing]


4. The Hemlock Tee by Grainline Studio. This is my second Hemlock. I fell in love with the version made from tissue jersey that Jen is wearing on the Grainline blog post and wanted to find a really lightweight, slub type jersey to make my own version. I was super-pleased when I spotted this piece of lightweight striped jersey in Abakhan as part of the "pay by weight" event. I can't remember how much it cost, but it really wasn't very much at all and the top is going to be perfect for summer evening strolls on my holiday to Margate! Again, it's a fairly simple make on an overlocker. I must confess that I cut the first neckband off as I messed it up beyond salvage but then, on a different day, I would have sewn it fine! I seem to have this relationship with neckbands! Oh, did I mention this is a free pattern with the Grainline newsletter sign up?



6. The Grainline Studio Lark Tee. This is my favourite short-sleeved basic tee pattern. It is the perfect shape for me as I like that skateboard brand tee kind of shape (sorry, that's the only way I can describe it). The simple shape also means that I can go crazy with the patterned jersey for this one. The Cotton and Steel octopus jersey version that I made is still my favourite! This is going to be a much-made pattern. [Fabric is from The Fabric Fox]




7. The Grainline Studio Linden. I thought I'd add this one in as, although it is a sweatshirt pattern, I have made the short-sleeved version of the Linden in a jersey (yes, another Cotton and Steel octopus one!) I prefer the Lark for a tee version. But the Linden adds the waistband, which is a nice touch and good for a French terry or heavier weight jersey. I added a ribbed one to the one below and also used ribbing for the neckband and sleeve cuffs. [Fabric from Sew Me Sunshine again but sold out]



8. The Ensemble Patterns Greco Tee. It's another free pattern for newsletter subscribers. This is a great oversized casual tee. If you want to know more, check out my blog post for Material Girl Laura.


So there you have it, my tee pattern round-up. What's your favourite go-to tee pattern?

Comments

Popular Posts