New Make: I AM Juliette

This is the first time I've used this pattern (or any from the I AM range) - which is a button up at the back with a lovely collar feature on the front. The packaging is beautiful and I hated tearing into it to open it!

You can make the top with around a metre of fabric, which is great, especially for stash-busting.  I made it from this tropical bird viscose from Sew Me Sunshine. It was my first time using viscose, which I found a little more slippery than my usual cotton, but still manageable. I made sure I had a new needle in the machine before I started and it was worth it for the drape of the fabric.


I used snaps/poppers for the back, as they're quicker than buttonholes (I have buttons/buttonholes planned for the cropped Kalle shirt I'm currently making). As it was a new pattern, I found myself reading the instructions a couple of times. They are quite minimal compared to some but I still understood what I needed to do at each stage. There are a couple of steps where you sew a pulling thread and slightly gather areas (such as the shoulders and sleeves), which can be a little tricky if you're not sure what you're doing. But, I think it turned out okay. I didn't quite get the collar to meet at the front which is something I'll pay attention to when sewing it in the future.

Overall verdict: It's a cute pattern that feels a little more feminine than I usually go for. I think it will be nice in a stiffer fabric too, to add a boxy fit. I'll definitely be making more. It's a great make if you only have a small piece of fabric too!


Popular Posts