The Maker's Atelier Boxy Tee (from the new magazine)

When I saw that The Maker's Atelier was going to put out a magazine, I went straight to the website and pre-ordered my copy. I love its chic, stylish designs and the Oversized Shirt Dress was a first pattern for me when I started to sew again last April. What I love most about the designs is that they always have a great silhouette; often structured, quite of few of the patterns are, what I like to call, "art teacher" chic. The magazine is full of inspiration and the way in which the patterns are laid out in rows on the pages in various fabrics, and then styled in photo shoots is just perfection! I already have my eye on the forthcoming pattern from Keira Fogden for the Design Studio series next month (and some of the existing patterns).




I was super-excited to learn that the pattern that accompanied the magazine was a boxy tee - a basic with a twist. As you can see from the photo above, the silhouette has a drop hem at the back. I made it from this amazing quality About Blue French Terry from Sew Me Sunshine, which gives it a nice shape without being too rigid. It was super-quick to cut and sew up on the overlocker.

 

The finished tee was shorter than I normally like so I unpicked my hem and dropped it by 2cm to the length shown in the photos. I'm quite short (5'2") so I suggest checking the finished garment measurements before you start cutting the pattern to see if they match the length you want and, if not, adding some length to the front (and the back if you want to keep the high/low hem ratio).  I also need to make the arms wider as I didn't pay attention to this when cutting the pattern and they are slightly snug around the bicep.


Overall verdict: The Maker's Atelier did not disappoint. I have had so many compliments on this tee. I'm definitely going to make another, but think I might either size up (to a medium) or, at the very least size up the sleeves and lengthen the body.

Comments

Popular Posts