The "Egg" Kalle Shirt Dress






I thought it was about time I put this one up on the blog. I made it during the heatwave here in the UK (hence why the grass is all dead in the photos) and I just LOVE it. As you all know by now, I am a massive fan of the Kalle shirt/dress pattern. This is the first time that I have made the full dress version (and the first time that I was brave enough to use bias binding on the curved drop hem). When I saw this fried egg fabric by Kim Knight for Cotton and Steel in Cloth and Candy's online shop (sadly now sold out, but she has some other great designs in stock!), I knew I had to make something with it. And I knew it had to be a shirt of some kind. I'd been meaning to try the dress version of the Kalle for a while now so it had to be done!



I made my usual size and made the standard collar and the button placket version of the pattern. Although I'm fairly short, I decided to keep the length of the pattern as I like things a little longer. I changed the shape of the pocket fold by just folding the top over in a straight line (shown in the image as a work in progress). As a finishing touch, I added a popper to the pocket. Instead of buttons, I used blue snaps (poppers) for the dress. I know some people hate sewing buttonholes but I really don't mind  them. I love the look of snaps though and I thought the shiny plastic would compliment the fun print - I also had the perfect shade of blue in my stash.


The most exciting part of this make (other than the print, of course) was the bias binding. This is the first time I have made my own binding (I've oddly been a little bit scared of sewing pattern with it in the past). I used one of the little devices to help me but found it pretty straightforward. After ironing I immediately wrapped it around some card to stop it coming unfolded. I found attaching it to the shirt dress hem fairly easy and love the neatness of it. I'm not sure why I didn't just go for the bias binding on my previous tunic-length Kalles but will definitely use this method again now I know what I'm doing with it.



Overall, I adore this dress. The fabric is just perfect and I wouldn't change a thing! It's had an awful lot of love and I've already purchased the eggs fabric in the orange/red colour way from The Crafty Mastermind to make myself a La Maison Victor Bruna Blouse. I'll just have one in every colour please! 

Comments

Popular Posts