Planning Autumn Makes

I've seen a lot of posts on Instagram lately about autumn sewing plans. This is my first autumn as a sewist (having only started making my own clothes in April) and I'm pretty loathed to buy any RTW, with my new found skills. So, I'm thinking, what do I need to make for autumn?


I've had a gorgeous navy blue and gold Atelier Brunette french terry (above) in my stash which I swiftly purchased after making my first Linden sweatshirt from the grey and pink version of it sometime in late Spring (below). I kept telling myself "I don't need another sweatshirt at the moment, I'll make another dress/skirt/shirt" and now autumn has arrived. Needless to say, my next Linden is now cut out and ready to sew.


I've also been thinking about workwear so I've also cut out a Breton Tee in navy/white striped cotton jersey, ready to sew. This make is quite special as it's my first make from The Great British Sewing Bee book which given to me as (an incredibly thoughtful) 'thank you' gift. It's also the perfect make for an self-professed "art geek", being the informal uniform of many an artist! (You might spot some more art-inspired makes later on the blog - have a look closely at the dress I'm wearing in my "about me" photo!)

Also on my workwear list is a Ralph Pink Sahara Shirt in a gorgeous Atelier Brunette (again!) cotton gauze in terrazzo night (below) that arrived from Sew Me Sunshine last week. I'm hoping that this pattern will become a staple as I love an oversized shirt! I've pre-washed and dried the double gauze on the washing line today (a rare dry afternoon!) ready for cutting. Buying 3m of it felt quite luxurious so I hope I don't mess this one up!


Oh yes...pyjamas! They are on the list too. I have the Kwik Sew K3553 pattern from Sew Now magazine waiting in line. I'm not normally an Xmas type of person but I think the unicorn Xmas fabric from Rico Design is amazing and destined to be PJs. I'm also coveting these Hello Kitty fabrics from Fabric Galore.

My "big" plans for autumn/winter are my first pair of jeans. For some reason, I'm apprehensive about making trousers (I think it stems back to making an ill-fitting pair of trousers in Textiles class!) But, I've decided that the only way to get over it is to give it a go. I have never bought a pair of "perfect" jeans; most pairs that fit my thighs are too big on the waist. I'm going to enrol on the Closet Case Patterns 'Sew Your Dream Jeans' online class (so expect a future blog post) in the hope that I will learn how to make jeans that fit me (almost) perfectly. If anyone has had any experience of the online classes, I'd love to hear from you!

Lastly (for now),  I'm determined to make a winter coat. I'm currently leaning towards the Papercut Patterns Sapporo, which is totally my style. I'm wondering how it fastens, though. Again, please get in touch if you've had a go at making this one already. I'm also searching for a bright wool/wool mix fabric for this one and, of course, a distinct lining.

So, not much to make then, eh? What's on your list of autumn makes?

D.







Comments

Popular Posts